With winter around the corner, it may be tempting to begin to cut back on your sod care. However, our Denver sod price experts here at Emerald Sod Farms can attest: Now is the best time to take proactive steps to keep your turf healthy until spring returns.
- Keep watering and mowing your lawn as needed throughout the fall season. This is a good practice to do while your grass is still growing, and it will keep it healthier.
- Rake up leaves to remove them from your grass or use a mower to mulch them, which is good for your grass and usually faster than raking up fallen leaves. Either way, you’ll want to remove leaves before they can get soggy and breed any fungus.
- Aerate the soil so oxygen, water, and fertilizer can reach the roots of your grass. Consider hiring a company to do it for you or you can rent a gas-powered lawn aerator at many hardware stores and do it yourself.
- Fill in any bald or dry patches of turf. Emerald Sod Farms can help you with matching the right sod and sizes to fix those areas before winter sets in.
- Fertilize your lawn in the fall. Autumn is an ideal time of year to apply fertilizer, as grass tends to grow slower in those cooler temperatures. Laying down fertilizer now will deliver nutrients to the grass so it can grow deeper roots and provide a good start for spring. You can use a crank spreader for dry fertilizer. This can deliver an even application. The process can take some time, but it’s worth the effort.
Got more questions about organic sod and sod installation in Colorado? Emerald Sod Farms, your Denver sod price experts, are here to help you. For information, contact us at Emerald Sod Farms or call 303-654-0202.